Thursday 17 July 2014

'Each person has the power to change the world' How will you celebrate Mandela Day?



Hi friends,

This blog is meant to be choc-a-bloc with positive, uplifting material, and it will be, just bear with me... I'm new to blogging and I'm discovering quickly that it's not so different from face-to-face conversations with friends, and hence authenticity is key. 

It's not possible to talk about celebrating the life work of one of the most inspirational leaders of our time without acknowledging the turmoil that's taking place in the world at the moment. Like many of you, I've been looking on in horror as the violence around the globe intensifies. My heart is heavy as I watch / read about the unrelenting bombing of Gaza children. As I type, massive explosions are shaking Khan Yunis city ( a city in the southern Gaza strip ) as the Israeli armed forces have dropped smoke bombs over the area. There's little official media coverage of this particular incident right now. It's incomprehensible to me how the world, how our global leaders can stand by and watch this genocide take place without intervening. As I sit back in the comfort of my home watching the news, without fear of attack at any moment, I feel both infuriated and helpless. My thoughts are with all of those under attack as well as the families of those lost in the Malaysian Airline crash.

I'd almost forgotten that today is #MandelaDay. If ever there was a reminder needed that 'each person has the power to change the world', today is that day. I visited Robben Island prison a number of years ago and I'll never forget the feeling I had as I looked in on the minuscule 8x7 cell where Mandela spent 18 years of his life. It wasn't the anger or sadness I expected to feel for a man who had his freedom torn away from him. Instead, it ignited a sense of inner hope and possibility that I hadn't felt in a long time. It was utterly empowering. Instead of succumbing to bitterness or despair, this man followed his truth - the truth that love, forgiveness and dogged determination have the power to change the world

I'm now conjuring up how I felt as I stood outside what has become known as cell #5. Today I'll dedicate 67 minutes (minimum) of my time - a minute for each year of Mandela's public service - to doing something for others. (I'll write a post about that later) If you've managed to read this far, thank you, and I challenge you to do the same. If you can't get out, think of another way to bring positivity into someone's life today. Something as simple as cultivating loving-kindness in meditation has far-reaching effects. Follow this link for a guided meditation.

Global change starts at an individual level as Madiba has demonstrated. On that note, here is a site that may be of interest to those of you wishing to take action on apartheid Israel at a local level. It provides information on ethical purchasing and offers a peaceful means of putting international pressure on Israel. 

Have a wonderful #MandelaDay lovelies. 'Be the change you want to see in the world'

Love and light to all x

No comments:

Post a Comment